Re: A common level of understanding (was: Review of th e Radio Plus deb ate themed "Cyber criminalité: somme s-nous bien armés ?" )

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 14:37:50 -0800

Hi Mike,
At 13:49 05-02-2016, Jules Mike Giovanni wrote:
>I don't know if I did a good thing pointing it out or not to be honest.

It's a good thing.

>Most of the discussions on MIU list are very helpful and any
>subscriber is free to participate in any discussion as it pleases
>him or her. I see only few cases where a discussion can be
>uncomfortable for someone. So far, if I feel a discussion is
>uncomfortable to me, I'll either stay away from it or ask questions
>( while trying not to drag it off topic) to get a clear
>understanding of the discussion and feel more at ease.

The discussions on this mailing list are mild in comparison with some
non-local mailing lists.

>Most of time, I'll stay away from technical discussions or be
>hesitate to participate as some of them end up in some sort of
>competition (for various reasons). Being technical does not always
>resolve the problem at hand unless being so is required, otherwise
>it only add more unnecessary complexity.

The reality is that people will have to compete with each other as it
is a way, for example, to identify the best person to hire or for the
person to be able to rate himself/herself. At the same time, a
subscriber should understand that it will be frowned upon if he or
she does anything to discourage a university student from
participating in a discussion.

I met some people (on the island) who underestimate their level of
expertise. There are also some people who have potential. It puts
people on the island at a disadvantage as the competition is global.