Re: Review of the Radio Plus debate themed "" Cybercriminalité : sommes -nous bien armés ?

From: Jules Mike Giovanni <johnally_at_eml.cc>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 12:56:36 -0800

Hi SM & Hansley,

Glad to have you in the mailing list Hansley :)

> During a debate a person stated that torrents can be used to anonymize
> IP addresses.  That is incorrect.  I preferred not to say anything
> about that as the discussion would be confusing.

It could be that the person confused the two(2) technologies TOR and
torrent in that situation. Torrent allows you to route directly to other
clients "seeking" the same file or list of files (so obtaining the IP
address would not be difficult at all. If not mistaken, all the clients'
IP addresses are displayed in the most torrent applications) but I would
guess explanation would in fact bring more confusion based on the type
of discussion and level of understanding of the participants.

> I suggest checking out the person's background if
you are entrusting a technical person with your personal or company
software or hardware.

Agreed. You cannot rely only what the person says. Words can be
prettified but proven knowledge can't :) When assessing a fellow
programmer, I enjoy looking at his coding and logic behind some of his
approaches (that's how I judge my own progress also - e.g comparing old
codes with new ones). I've heard that some companies like Facebook
browse through websites as github.com to spot potential programmers they
want to hire but they still hold a difficult series of test during
interview. Trust is hard earned after all :)

Regards, Mike

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail