Re: Review of the Radio Plus debate themed "Cybercriminalité: sommes-nous bien armés ?"

From: Jules Mike Giovanni <johnally_at_eml.cc>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 07:03:09 -0800

Hi SM,

> My report usually goes to management. It may include a technical
section about the problem which was identified if that is needed. The
technical details depend on the technical level of the technical
department; it might be the technical department of another company.
Basically, as you interact with the technical people you can determine
which information to provide. If you are doing a security-related
report, it is better to have all the relevant details included.

When you mean the technical department of another company, do you mean
that the company who hired you outsourced some of its processes to that
"another company" or is it just a different branch or an agglomeration?
Relevancy is important as I can see. Thank you for answering that
question of mine.

> Yes. The alternatives depends on the country and the standards the
organisation has chosen to comply with. I might refer to a RFC for the
technical part and documented practices from, for example, the U.S. if
the documents have been widely reviewed.

There is so much I need to get myself acquainted with in regards to the
above. So far I have been looking at various RFC since I'm working
directly with the technical part but I never dove into the documented
practices.

> Security is not about blindly complying with some standard.

I agree totally with you here. A pool of standards must be studied
before any of the standard in it can be considered for implementation.
Security requires special attention and often has to be tailored-made
around the system.

> It can take some time to get used to the subject. I would not worry
about spilling incorrect information on here. It is misguided if
a person to blindly uses the information without verifying that it
is correct.

I try my best not to involve myself into subjects I don't have a good
grasp of. I do understand that the MIU list is a good place to share
information and opinions about various subjects orbiting around the
internet and as such, clear any misunderstanding. However, I still don't
feel that comfortable and having a skype conversation will probably
increase my confidence on the topic. I am sorry if it sounds weird.

Regards, Mike

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again