Re: Code of Conduct for MIU

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:19:40 +0400

Hello all,

Ish Sookun<ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-11 15:37:
> You have a strong point, but, as Mauritius Internet Users considered
having a group of people working for the advancement of internet in
Mauritius, I was somehow more in favour of having people who contribute,
rather than having readers.

Spreading knowledge and keeping people informed of the state of the
internet – websites, technology, connectivity…, is itself working for
the advancement of internet in Mauritius. Even if readers are not
contributing to ‘the cause’, they are the part of the purpose the
mailing list should strive to achieve, i.e. education and awareness.

Ish Sookun<ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-11 15:37:
> Nothing prevents people from reading the mailing list archives
regularly. In fact, it's one of the purpose, to allow non-subscribers
stay informed of internet-related activities in Mauritius.

Unfortunately the mailing list archive is far from user friendly. The
link to the archive itself cannot be found anywhere. In the age of web
applications and facebook users, I wish to make a strong appeal not to
increase the difficulty level of the mailing list usage or perception
thereof for the general public.

Also, email has the advantage of being ‘push’ rather than ‘pull’,
whereas the archives requires that the user visits the site and selects
a starting point to start browsing. Also worth mentioning is the absence
of a built-in search mechanism (of course a search engine can be used,
but this is not of common knowlege).

A suggestion in this regard would be availability of rss feeds, but then
again I remain sceptical with respect of this technology – although
having the mailing list in xml format would render it very malleable and
presentable in various formats.

Ish Sookun<ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-11 15:37:
> I may argue, that at some point if a non-subscriber wants to
contribute to a specific topic, he/she could send an email to the
mailing list. The appearance of the email to the list is subject to
approval. There are emails on the list that non-subscribers sent & they
appear.

It would be interesting to know more about the approval process.

Ish Sookun<ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-11 15:37:
> Yes, LKML is a high volume mailing list and precisely that is why it
can't be moderated as the Mauritius Internet Users ML. Your suggestion
could be effective if we received hundreds of useful emails from
non-subscribers on a weekly basis. At the moment, I suggest we keep it
strict.

Moderation and restricted membership are separate issues.

Ish Sookun<ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-11 15:37:
> It becomes difficult to quantify the size of the group with inactive
subscribers.

I am sure technically it would not be an issue to get active
subscribers. The problem would be to determine the most active users
from the sporadic ones.

Ish Sookun<ish_at_lsl.digital>, 2016-01-11 15:37:
> Otherwise, we might say we're a group of 500 people with 5 active
participants.

Semantics my dear Ish.
- We are a group of 500 people with 5 active participants.
- We are a group of 5 people with a readership of 495 people
- We are a group of 5 people (if we cleansed the 495 non participants)

It would be interesting to know if the need to quantify the most active
users greater than the purpose the MIU seeks to fulfill with regards to
awareness and knowledge (see above).

Regards,

❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR
– ❝Vitae Non Scholae Discendum❞