Re: Code of Conduct for MIU

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 14:11:10 +0400

Hello all,

Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>, 2016-01-08:>
> I started writing the Code of Conduct. I think it would be fair to
> review the contribution of subscribers every six months and remove the
> inactive subscribers.

The purpose of a mailing list is two-fold:
- Group people sharing a common interest, allowing them to communicate
and share ideas, and to prepare a common course of action.
- Serve as a newsletter, to allow people to keep informed. Whether or
not they contribute is irrelevant:
     + If they do not contribute, at least they will be informed about
Mauritius Internet Issues – thus MIU is useful to them
     + They may at some point come across an issue whereby they can help
or they feel concerned and their input may be extremely valuable – more
than the cost of preserving their membership (the costs of sending an
email are minimal)

One of the biggest, if not THE biggest mailing list, is LKML [1] - the
Linux Kernel Mailing List, consisting of the Linux Kernel Development
team. However anyone can join (at their own risk, since it is a very
high traffic mailing list), irrespective of their ability or rate of
contribution.

Thus I strongly disapprove of the idea of cleansing the mailing list
from non-participating users.

It makes sense however, whenever there are activities that a task force
be formed from the active users – given circumstances and availability
of seats.

S. Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>, 2016-01-10, 19:54:
> It's a good idea. It will also help avoid emails being sent to
inactive email accounts.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to invite non-active users to
renew their subscription once a year.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/

Regards,

❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR