Re: Netflix available in Mauritius

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 15:45:50 +0400

Hello MIU,

Sun <s4ndeep1203_at_gmail.com>:
> Internet Speeds in Mauritius
> Many users still do not have a fibre connection, myself for example.
I am stuck with a 512k internet connection. It would be interesting to
know what is the minimum requirement to stream on Netflix from
Mauritius. I will test that today.

According to Netflix – Internet Connection Speed Recommendations[1]:

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for
playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

- 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
- 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
- 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
- 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
- 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

> Download capping in Mauritius imposed by ISPs
>
> For the lucky ones whose geographical location grant them access to
Myt LaFibre, we should not forget that there are very strict capping.
Around 75GB for 10mbps I believe. Usage of streaming services such as
Netflix will hit their download limit very hard I believe (it is mostly
video content after all). I wonder if these users will still be able to
enjoy streaming for more than a few days even if they have access to
fibre connections?

According to Netflix – How can I control how much data Netflix uses? [2]

Each estimate below is per stream:

- Low (0.3 GB per hour)
- Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
- High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour
for Ultra HD)
- Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality,
based on your current Internet connection speed)

Apparently La Fibre users whose bandwidth is capped will see their video
downgraded – which will greatly affect the experience for those watching
on smart tvs or otherwise big screens.

A major concern would be Emtel Airbox, whose terms and conditions [3]
state the following:

In ANNEX C – OTHER SERVICE USAGE CONDITIONS AND FAIR USAGE POLICY,
section “Excessive Network Usage” states as follows:

a) There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However, if we
feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are
detrimentally affected, we may reduce your download and upload
speed and we may or may not give you written warning (by email other
otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not
immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or limit your
services.

[1] https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
[2] https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87
[3] https://www.emtel.com/airbox/assets/files/termsandconditions.pdf

Loganaden Velvindron <logan_at_afrinic.net>:
> I was in Congo, and the latency was varying from 90ms to 200ms. Skype
& signal were much more fluid than Mauritius.

Pretty nice – why did you return? :P On a more serious note, it is most
unfortunate that latency is not really given much attention in Mauritius.

Regards,

❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR
– ❝Vitae Non Scholae Discendum❞

✍ fx_at_fluxy.net