Re: Netflix available in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 02:35:18 -0800

Hi Ish, Sandeep,
At 23:41 06-01-2016, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I listened to Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix, on BBC News today. He
>mentioned about the annoying "buffering" situation that could hinder
>user experience in some countries.

I watched the video stream from netflix.com. There wasn't any
buffering. I send an email when there is buffering.

At 23:32 06-01-2016, Sun wrote:
>This is great news. But is it really?
>
>Two features of interest come to mind with this announcement :
>
>1. Internet Speeds in Mauritius
>2. Download capping in Mauritius imposed by ISPs
>
>Internet Speeds in Mauritius
>
>Many users still do not have a fibre connection, myself for example.
>I am stuck with a 512k internet connection. It would be interesting
>to know what is the minimum requirement to stream on Netflix from
>Mauritius. I will test that today.

The resolution for the 512 Kbps connection is 384x288. That's a low
image quality on a Smart TV.

>Download capping in Mauritius imposed by ISPs
>
>For the lucky ones whose geographical location grant them access to
>Myt LaFibre, we should not forget that there are very strict
>capping. Around 75GB for 10mbps I believe. Usage of streaming
>services such as Netflix will hit their download limit very hard I
>believe (it is mostly video content after all). I wonder if these
>users will still be able to enjoy streaming for more than a few days
>even if they have access to fibre connections?

The user will notice the degraded service because of the low data
cap. Assuming that you have a Smart TV, you will need to have a good
internet connection to able to watch House of Cards or Marseille.