Re: Open Data - Difficulties in compiling the data

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_lsl.digital>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 02:03:42 +0400

Hi Suyash,

On 01/05/2016 06:36 PM, Suyash Sumaroo wrote:

> Recently, I have been doing some research on open data (thanks to the
> previous discussions here about open data in Mauritius).

The archive proves useful. :)

> I was wondering if someone can shed some light on the difficulties the
> government can encounter when they need to compile the data considering
> the fact that raw data from the government can be in various forms
> (digital, on sheets of papers, etc.). I did some research but there is
> not a lot of information on this specific aspect of open data for the
> government.

The National Computer Board pushed for a paperless office [1] initiative
around 2012. There might have been other similar attempts in the past.

There was a government tender for the "implementation of Document
Management System" in October 2014. Page 67 of the bidding document
describes a "scanning exercise" for 400K A4 pages that require Optical
Character Recognition on certain fields. The highest bidder quoted Rs
9,991,074 and the lowest bid was Rs 4,650,870. That tender was for one
ministry. Looking at the figures I would say there is a potential for
business with the Open Data initiative.

[1]
http://greenict.govmu.org/portal/sites/greenict/downloads/Guideline%20Paperless%20NCB%2020.07.12.pdf

I drink coffee & manage Linux servers