Re: Panel discussion (Was: Startup scene in Mauritius)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 07:21:41 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 05:26 31-12-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>Have you been able to discuss about this with the host?

I have not done that yet.

>This must be a short intro done by the host.

Ok.

>This is a good topic suggestion. Sten might give us an idea on the
>kinds of problem & hurdles Estonia had to overcome some 10 years
>ago. We might have similar problems. While I do not believe in a
>copy/paste strategy, the Estonian start-up experience could surely
>guide us ahead.

Yes. There won't be much time though. I have to go through the
agenda to see who to fit everything in.

>I am keen to learn about these.

Ok.

>Start-up hurdles in Mauritius could be a vast topic, as it would
>range from raising capital, access to finance, technological
>limitations, market size etc. I would say in fact this topic would
>be the core of the discussion and I suggest we keep more time for
>this & give everyone an equal opportunity to share.

I doubt that there will be much time to explore the start-up
hurdles. I have to allocate equal time for successes and hurdles or
else the discussion might be too one-sided.

>In our previous Skype call, Sun suggested that we attend to
>questions that people are tweeting using hashtag #StartupMauritius.
>I support the idea.

Thanks.

>We can discuss about that with LSL Digital. :-)

I would like Sandeep and you to work a little. :-)

>You are right about the risk element. People should also show a
>certain degree of passion, enthusiasm and eagerness with what they
>want to achieve.

I left out a lot of details. As I mentioned in another message, it
is up to the persons having a strong interest in the start-up scene
in Mauritius to try and do something about it.