Re: Panel discussion (Was: Startup scene in Mauritius)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:43:45 -0800

Hi Ish, Sun,
At 09:22 29-12-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>We're less than a week since the event. We should plan the one hour
>and how to proceed with the discussions, details about the panel and
>all. I propose we discuss the same in this thread.
>
>SM earlier proposed the following:
>
> "There will be a representative of the Ministry of
> Technology, Communication and Innovation, a person who has been
> involved in the Information Technology sector in Mauritius, two
> persons who are interested in entrepreneurship and Mr Tamkivi on the panel."
>
>Do you have names, SM?

The following are suggestions as I have to get approval from LSL
Digital on the details.

The persons on the discussion panel will be:

    1. Sten Tamkivi
    2. Representative from the Ministry of Technology, Communication
and Innovation
    3. Donald Lim-Fat
    4. Vivek Mathur
    5. Ish Sookun

I am listing you as the representative of the Mauritius Internet
Users. I am waiting for Mr Lacour to confirm whether he is okay to
be part of the discussion panel. The host for discussion panel will
probably be from LSL Digital. I'll propose 30 minutes to take
questions from participants in the audience. The event will be in English.

The topic of the event is: Start-up scene in Mauritius. The proposed
agenda is:

    (a) Introduction

    (b) What is a start-up?

    (c) Estonian start-up experience

    (d) Start-up success stories in Mauritius

    (e) Start-up hurdles in Mauritius

    (f) Questions & Answers

At 10:46 29-12-2015, Sun wrote:
>This seems like a very good initiative. I will rather comment and
>ask some questions about organisation of the event to ensure a
>smooth running of the latter.
>
>1. I would like to know about the topics that will be discussed.
>Have they been finalized yet? I suggest that these be decided before
>the event so that each panel member can prepare accordingly. This
>will also help avoid discussions getting out of subject.

The topics have not been finalized yet. I'll be contacting each
panel members individually to provide them with the details once the
details are finalized.

Let's discuss about the getting out of subject and the topics on a
Skype call tomorrow night.

>2. I assume there will be a host conducting the panel discussion.
>Has the host's identity been disclosed already?

It will be a person from LSL Digital. I don't know the person's
identity at the moment.

>3. Will this event be streamed online? Or will it be available for
>viewing later online?

I did not ask LSL Digital to stream online because it is in less than
a week and there's the New Year holidays. Could you please ask for
the event to be made available for online viewing?

>4. It is important to define the term "Startup". For example,
>Vincent Pollet mentioned "<http://deals.mu>deals.mu", which is
>backed by ABZ Group. Can such a company be considered a Startup?

I have that in (b).

>5. There are Startups, and there are companies that adopt a "Startup
>Culture" within a department, which brings the "feel" of startups,
>without most of the risks. Can I suggest this as a topic of discussion?

Could we fit this in (c)?

Unfortunately, there won't be enough time for discussion. I don't
think that a start-up culture can exist if the persons who identify
themselves with that culture are not comfortable with the risk element.