Re: FW: RE: Post-Zarek Workshop

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 17:24:17 +0400

Hi Kathleen,

On 12/23/2015 04:42 PM, Fox, Kathleen F wrote:

> Let me thank you again for your active participation in the U.S.
> Embassy’s Freedom of Information Act workshop led by Corinna Zarek on
> December 11^th . Those of you receiving this email expressed interest
> in pursuing the discussions for a FOIA or Right to Information Act in
> Mauritius – the full list is below. Several of you have already
> contacted us with future projects and we hope that you will share your
> notes and coordinate your activities.
>
> Attached are the worksheets used during the workshop. Rajen Bablee of
> Transparency Mauritius also shared the attached is a paper on FOI or RTI
> Act published on 6 October 2015 and communicated to the press.
>
> Also used in the workshop were:
>
> India's RTI: http://righttoinformation.gov.in/rti-act.pdf
>
> U.S. FOIA:
> http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/oip/legacy/2014/07/23/amended-foia-redlined-2010.pdf

Thank you for your email & best wishes. I am copying the email and the
attachments to the Mauritius Internet Users list since I attended the
workshop on their behalf. I am glad to see the large number of
respondents who wish to further coordinate their actions to obtain a
Freedom of Information Act for Mauritius.

I grab the opportunity once again to thank you, Ms Corinna Zarek, and
your team for organizing the Freedom of Information workshop.

> Next steps: Although he was unable to attend the workshop, Mr. Devpal
> Cowreea (cc’d here), Vice Chairperson of MACOSS, met with our Embassy
> this week to discuss their work with the Centre for Human Rights at the
> University of Pretoria. MACOSS will be working with the Prime
> Minister’s Office and other stakeholders to host the second visit of the
> Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression and Access to Information in
> Africa to Mauritius the week of January 11, 2016. They will be
> coordinating a 2-day consultative workshop during the visit to which you
> all are valuable contributors.
>
> We look forward to working with all of you in the new year.
>
> ...[snip]...
>
> Jean Claude Noorah
> (Ministry of Financial Services & Good Governance)
>
> Oumah Vinktaremdoo
> (Ministry of Civil Service and Admin Reforms)
>
> Sunilduth Gopaul
> (Mauritius Police Force)
>
> Poonam Ramsohok
> (ICT Authority)
>
> Adil Calleea
> (Pupil of Antoine Domingue)
>
> Antoine Domingue
> (President, Mauritius Bar Association)
>
> Gayle Yerriah
> (ICT Authority)
>
> Jean Laurent Moothooveeren
>
> Omdeep Gokhool
> (Mauritius Internet Users)
>
> Tushyadev Jadunundun
> (ICT Authority)
>
> Axcel Chenney
> (La Sentinelle)
>
> Roukaya Kasenally
> (University of Mauritius)
>
> S. Mukool
> (National Archives)
>
> Ish Sookun
> (Mauritius Internet Users)
>
> Sandeep Ramgoolam
> (Mauritius Internet Users)
>
> R. Ramnarain
> (Ministry of Civil Service and Admin Reforms)
>
> G. Gungag
> (Ministry of Financial Services and Good Governance)
>
> K. Kathapermall
> (Media Trust)
>
> S. Moonesamy
> (Mauritius Internet Users)
>
> Rajen Bablee
> (Transparency Mauritius)
>
> Tania Diolle
> (University of Mauritius)

I hope the Mauritius Internet Users may collaborate with the U.S Embassy
in similar future activities.

(P.S: I removed the respondents' email addresses for obvious reasons)

- I blog at HACKLOG.mu.