Re: Open Data report

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 21:16:45 -0800

Hi Rajnish,
At 04:01 22-12-2015, Rajnish Hawabhay wrote:
>Please refer to our phone conversation of this morning to seek
>clarifications on your queries.
>
>As conveyed during our phone conversation, the validation workshop was
>carried out in order to validate the draft final report prepared by the
>World Bank.
>
>The World Bank has not yet sent the final report incorporating the
>findings of the validation workshop.
>
>Once the final report is received, it will be analysed and submitted to
>Cabinet for approval for implementation and dissemination.

Thank you for the frank and courteous phone conversation. I consider
the issue of the Open Data report as resolved as my question at the
workshop was about the draft report while your answer was about the
final report. I requested the draft report during the Open Data
workshop as I cannot ask the Mauritius Internet Users to validate a
report based on what I have seen in a Powerpoint presentation.

The world ranking for Open Data is drawn from "14,000 different data
points, captured as quantifiable data and backed by qualitative
source information". There was a drop in ranking (-12) for
Mauritius. One of the factors which caused that drop is the lack of
impact; another factor is the lack of sustained initiatives from the
demand-side. It is not worth the effort to drive an Open Data
initiative in a legacy environment. I hope that the Ministry of
Technology, Communication and Innovation will be able to sustain
interest in Open Data.