Re: Fastmail

From: Yusuf Satar <fx_at_fluxy.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:00:32 +0400

Hello All,

> But if you want an alternative to gmail and don't want to set up your
own mail server and stuffs, i would recommend you to try Mailgun. This
email service is intended for mainly developers and you can do lot's of
amazing stuffs with it, e.g. set up your own mail interface, mobile
application and retrieve your mails from mailgun and store in your
database. [Yuv Joodhisty]

Looked up Mailgun. The concept is great but not for personal email
because of the hassle - I can think up a number of use cases where I can
plug this, although as far as business usage is concerned it might be
pretty expensive (if the load of emails exchanged increases, it might
hurt the budget pretty bad).

> My main issue currently is that my love for Thunderbird is slowly
fading. [Daniel Laeng]

True there have been no “major” changes for a long time, but it feels
solid and there is no cross-platform and opensource application that can
stand up to it (balance of simplicity and power), YET. If you know a
solid cross-platform alternative, would be glad to hear.

> The interface is mobile friendly and snappy. It comes with various
> options. One which I find very useful is the "spam filter" which run
> very effectively. Since I own this fastmail account, all the emails I
> received where legit unless I registered on some web-services which did
> not protect my email address effectively. Moreover, creating your own
> spam filters is a kid play. You can specify what email comes through or
> go where in the folders you've set up depending on various variables as
> the correspondent email address, the email subject and the email
> content. [Jules Mike Giovanni]

> I moved from having my own server to using Fastmail a few years ago,
and have not looked back. I am very happy with it, and definitely
recommend it. [Daniel Laeng]

Glad to hear that. I have been planning to go for a paid plan, hence my
inquiry. I have started a trial account, but have yet to decide whether
to move my current domain or use a subdomain / another domain instead.
Will see.

Thanks all for your input

Regards,

❱ Muhammad Yusuf ABDOOL SATAR