Re: What has the Multi-Stakeholder Forum achieved?

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 20:04:43 +0400

Hi all,

On 12/09/2015 07:54 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I sent the following message to the members of the Multi-Stakeholder Forum.

This was my reply to SM's email on the .mu Multi-Stakeholder forum:

On 12/09/2015 01:57 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> We are reaching the end of the Year 2015. There hasn't been any meeting
> of the Multi-stakeholder Forum over the last five months.
>
> What has the Multi-Stakeholder Forum achieved?

Did we achieve anything? No.

Is the .mu Multi-Stakeholder forum still alive? I do not know, I cannot
say. Who can answer the question? I'd say the Ministry of Technology,
Communication and Innovation (MTCI). Now, if the ministry says the forum
is dead, that would mean it's a failure.

I quote [1] the Minister of TCI, Roshi Bhadhain:

     "Il nous faut promouvoir une culture de transparence."

We have a tendency to limit that line to financial matters. However,
transparency covers broader subjects; like success & failure of
projects. Right now, I do not know what is happening within this forum.
People pushed ideas, discrepancies were noted in the minutes of
meetings, there was mention of foreign consultancy, while the subject
matter in its technical aspects still remain un-discussed.

There was a proposal for MauDomain which would administer the .mu ccTLD.
Do we have a solid case for re-delegation? Did we prove ourselves
competent enough to administer a ccTLD? How about telling ICANN we plan
to hire one of their own to kick another of their own? Earlier some of
us raised "conflict of interest" but it gained little consideration.
Meanwhile, the Mauritius Internet Users were barred from discussing
minutes of meetings prior to 'approval'. That itself is controversial.

Benoit Gentil's business suffered a backslash for his participation and
having criticized the actions of the current registry. The forum
remained insensitive to the issue. The ministry watched gov.mu being
snatched, watched a fellow Mauritian's business being badly affected for
his contributions to the forum, yet all that has been happening is maybe
"nothing". Sorry for being true here but that's the "bilan" of 2015.

[1]
http://www.lexpress.mu/article/272636/roshi-bhadain-il-nous-faut-promouvoir-une-culture-transparence

- I blog at HACKLOG.mu.