Re: Internet related questions to be asked in the National Assembly

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 01:23:00 -0800

Hi Ish,
At 00:19 05-11-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>So, when it comes to internet the Minister compares Mauritius to
>Africa, while in other "tender generating" businesses, they aim to
>be the next Singapore or Dubai.

:-)

>The Rs 499 package of Mauritius Telecom says 512K with 128K upload.
>Does the Minister accept 128K upload as high-speed internet? What
>should I upload with that? Banana?

There wasn't any parliamentary question about the upload speed. I
doubt that you can upload much at that inferior speed unless you are
prepared to wait for the upload to complete.

>Is this not a repetition of the above? Did Mauritius Telecom
>*introduce* a new package of 512K at Rs 499 or there has been a
>price decrease of Rs 699 to Rs 499?

Yes. There was a price decrease from Rs 699 to Rs 499 instead of a
new package being introduced.

>I am forced to think that Ministers just read anything & everything
>that their *technicians* provide them as answers, without putting
>some maths into an understanding.

:-)

>Mauritius Telecom is upgrading its network infrastructure and
>migration should be free. Is the Mauritius Telecom doing a favor by
>not charging for "La Fibre" migration?

I don't consider that it is a favor.

>Fibre is being deployed to replace the aging copper wires. I would
>not expect a charging fee of the current line I am subscribed to.
>Mauritius Telecom marketing folks are wise with their words and
>politicians gladly fall in that pit ^^

In my opinion, we should not lose sight of the fact that Mauritius
Telecom would have to replace the copper wires with FTTH if it wants
to remain competitive.