Re: Security experts in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 01:31:34 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 01:49 01-11-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>Mauritians are still deeply rooted in the culture of secrecy, and
>avoiding talking about problems that impact them.

Yes.

>Let's look at numbers. How many CVE originate from Mauritius ?
>
>http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2002-1224
>https://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-13:12.ifioctl.asc
>
>What are the security experts of Mauritius doing ?

That is a CVE for an Open Source Software. How many members of LUGM
contribute to Open Source Software? If it is only a few, it is
unlikely that you would see CVE originating from Mauritius. It is
easy to confuse software developer with "security expert". Finding a
security-related bug does not make the person an "expert". At most,
the person might have some knowledge about the software in which the
bug was found.

If you could point me to the work of one or more of the "security
experts" I might be able to comment about what they are doing.

>HSC students are now learning computer science and they have a chapter
>on Security for TLS. How much of that material are they really
>understanding ?

I did not know that secondary school students were learning about the
security of TLS. There is an examination to assess their
comprehension of the material which they were supposed to study.

>When I was 16 years old, we were doing those kind of stuff for fun. It
>wasn't in the syllabus, but heck, we did it for the thrill as we were
>curious.

Are people learning about security by following a syllabus? :-)