Re: 100 Mbps local access to the internet

From: Loganaden Velvindron <logan_at_afrinic.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 14:18:48 +0400

On 10/28/15 9:43 AM, Jules Mike Giovanni wrote:
> Hi SM,
>

> The 100Mbps is a good starting point. Any capping will have to be
> relative to it and as such still provide a good experience.
>
> I have 30Mbps and during the first few days of the months, the
> connection is very pleasant.
>
> I don't know what the average users will do with 100Mbps except than
> streaming and downloading. For me, I'd be able to convert an old laptop
> into an ftp server for example and host several dedicated servers 24/7.
>
> I'm very sure that many on this mailing list would have done the same
> thing (hosting certain personal web services from their home
> connection).

Hi Mike. I used to campaign for 100Mbit/s *only*. However, with the rise
of smartphones, and the need for responsive web applications, voip, and
games, I started arguing for low latency to Europe and US. I also
closely monitor the Peering problems among MIXPs, as they affect gamers
in Mauritius.

So, I'm not happy to get 100 Mbit/s with a 600ms latency. What I want is
100Mbit/s with 100ms latency at most.

Latency is key once you cross the 5Mbit/s line for your internet experience.

See this:
http://logan.hackers.mu/2015/10/emtel-orange-part2