Re: Is the MIXP a white elephant? (was: Mauritius Telecom and Emtel peering at MIXP)

From: Stephen Naicken <stephennaicken_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 23:53:35 +0100

Hello Daniel, S. Moonesamy and all,

>> According to the above the MIXP is seeing as much traffic as a user on My.T
>> 20M (without FUP) would generate.
>
> .. and yet you focus on measurements over a few weeks or months past.
> Think about a 5 or 10 year plan. Where do you want your local internet
> to be then? Are there a whole number of barriers to achieving Internet
> nirvana? Does the existence of an IXP lower or remove any of those
> barriers at all? Could it help enable businesses, start-ups or access to
> education in the future?
> It might. It might not. But *could* it?

Measurements allow us to evaluate objectively, but besides that they
are fun to look at, so I certainly hope to see more regarding the IXP
in the future. The 20Mb/s figure alone is not what interests me per
se, but the growth of that figure. From 2-3 to 20Mb/s in approximately
half a year is certainly positive.

With respect to businesses and startups, the existence of the IXP
alone is probably not going to facilitate an increase in low latency,
localised applications and services, but I don't think we should
downplay its importance. I believe it to be one of many necessary
components, particularly for a country such as Mauritius. [1] shows
this to also be the case in other African nations.

The MIXP could certainly have been a failure, but it functions
correctly, so it is certainly not that. A white elephant? By
definition, it could only be that if the IXP is useless and has high
costs. Experience elsewhere shows that this should not be the case
[1]. In my opinion, if MIXP fails, it will be a reflection of ICT
policy, ISPs and others in the domain.

Daniel, I would be grateful if you could please answer the following:
from your perspective, what were some of the challenges that had to be
overcome in re-launching the MIXP?

Regards,

Dr. Stephen Naicken

[1] http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2014/uploads/proposal_background_paper/Analysys_Mason_Assessment_of_the_impact_of_Internet_Exchange_Points_April_2012_0.pdf