Re: Mauritius Internet Exchange Point Adventures

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:13:25 +0400

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 12:52 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Logan,
> At 13:15 22-10-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>
>> I deliberately kept it as simple as possible. I'm not sure that a non
>> technical reader would understand ping.
>>

> I'll keep my comments as non-technical as possible.
>
> Why can't we achieve the same kind of latency for traffic across local
>> ISPs in Mauritius ?
>>

> The two main ISPs in Mauritius are Orange Mauritius and Emtel. Those ISPs
> do not have any incentive to exchange traffic or reduce latency as their
> customers do not see that as a problem. The other companies with ISP
> licenses are focused on selling value-added services instead of operating
> as an ISP. In non-technical terms, competition in the (local) internet
> market is virtually non-existent.

Is this how a cyberisland or a smartisland is supposed to operate ?

> My guess is the high price of setting up a server in Mauritius, compared
>> to Europe and US, where it's so much cheaper. I think that we need more web
>> sites and services in Mauritius.
>>

> I don't think that the high price of setting a server in Mauritius is the
> major factor. There isn't much value in doing local stuff. For example,
> SEO in Mauritius is worthless.
>
> Also, as people complain about high latency for facebook (400-1200ms), I
>> believe the problem is the lack of facebook servers in Mauritius and/or
>> Cache servers for facebook. I definitely think that services like facebook
>> should have had less 100 ms latency from Mauritius, instead of 400-1200ms.
>>

> There is a cache server in Mauritius for some Facebook stuff. My guess is
> that the latency to Facebook could be around 74 ms [1].

And that could solve the facebook slowness that a LOT of people are
experiencing in Mauritius since quite some time.

> You ignored the following question: why is AfriNIC managing the local
> internet exchange point?

I'm afraid that I can't answer this question fully, as I am unaware of the
specific details. What I know is that AFRINIC peers at the MIXP, as shown
here: http://mixp.org/#members.

It appears that the physical location of the MIXP is at the NCB, not on
AFRINIC premises.