Re: Query: Mr Sookun ICT Observatory stats

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 21:08:59 +0400

Dear Ms Vayapooree,

On 10/16/2015 11:10 AM, Meera Vayapooree wrote:

> Further to your latest query dated 12 October 2015, please find the
> following information with regards to your questions.
>
> The cloud solution is hosted in Sweden. When you browse the Internet,
> your request is forwarded to your ISP's core router where the routing
> decision is taken.
>
> Please note that no deep packet inspection is performed in this process.
>
> If your are requesting a non-Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) website, your
> ISP's core router will forward the request directly to the international
> gateway.
>
> If you are requesting a CSA website, i.e a website whose IP is on the
> blacklist of the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), then the ISP's core
> router will redirect your request to the Netclean Cloud-based CSA
> filtering and a Block Page will be displayed instead of the website.
>
> In a nutshell, the system works by announcing blacklisted IP addresses
> (IWF blacklist) through the Border Gateway Protocol to the core network
> in Mauritius. Your request is redirected to a Block page instead of the
> intended webpage, only if you are accessing an IP listed on the IWF
> blacklist else no redirection is done.

Thank you for the explanation.

I understand there is a list of IP addresses that are blacklisted. What
happens after an Internet subscriber tries to reach those blacklisted
destinations besides shown a "block" page?

Apart from Netclean Whitebox, is the subscriber's IP address shared with
third parties and law enforcers?

- Geek by birth, Linux by choice
- I blog at HACKLOG.mu