Re: Laws to fight fake facebook profiles in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:22:19 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 09:50 07-10-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>This "mutual legal assistance" will help in identifying people using
>fake profiles on Facebook. However, it remains a debatable issue
>whether a person can be prosecuted for what he/she posts on his/her profile?

A person can be prosecuted for anything which is illegal in
Mauritius. The person may have to hire a lawyer if he/she believes
that the information posted in his/her profile is not an issue.

>We could say people having fake profiles have breached the "terms of
>use" of Facebook; but shouldn't there be more discussions regarding
>the amendments?

It is better to have a discussion about the amendments being
proposed. I don't think that people are interested in discussing
about how the amendments will affect them.