Re: Media Trust event about Freedom of Information Act

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 23:28:32 +0400

Hello SM,

On 10/02/2015 09:17 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> I watched the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aotkkVOudoQ about
> a Freedom of Information Act. Mr Ashok Radhakissoon commented that "ca
> me fait peur" when he heard that only government bodies are working on
> the legislation as "le fontionnaire est friand de mettre des
> prohibitions, des exceptions, 'de ban'". I agree with Mr Radhakissoon
> that it is a matter of access to information instead of freedom of
> information. I doubt that the legislation will suit the needs of the
> average person in Mauritius if the views of the public are not taken
> into account in drafting the legislation.

IMHO "le fonctionnaire" is in favor of prohibitions because that will
suppress questions related to transparency & accountability. Having only
government officers working on the "freedom of information" is
dangerous. It appears like telling a person to audit his own work.

> Nowadays, the police collects data on road accidents using Police Form
> 178. The details recorded are used to identify black spot areas. If
> that data could be made available as Open Government Data, it could be
> used to alert drivers to exercise more caution.

Yes. Such data would be useful.

> As another example, I sent a reminder to the Manager, Communications and
> Consumer Affairs, Information and Communication Technologies Authority
> about a request for information about the "National Internet Filtering
> System" issue (
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/09/3625.html
> ). It looks like that the request has been ignored as I did not receive
> any reply. It is difficult to get access to information held by
> government bodies.

I wrote an email to Mr Dabeesing and Mr Moutou requesting information
about the NetClean Whitebox filtering solution.