Re: Apps on the cloud

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:33:45 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 22:41 01-10-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I do not agree with the statement "can make Open Source Software
>obsolete". A lot of open source software are used in the making of
>cloud infrastructures. Some applications are offered as "instances"
>where the person gets credentials to connect to the instance and
>effect operations. The person does not need to worry about
>maintenance, security patches etc. If you're referring to that as
>"making OSS obsolete", I guess it's wrong ;-)

If a company uses the "cloud" it does not have to hire a system
administrator as there isn't any maintenance work to be done. The
software used, e.g. a lot of open software software, disappears from
the picture as the company buys an "instance". The rest of the world
is moving to on-demand processing [1] as easy access to the "cloud"
makes that possible.

1. The word "processing" is not being used according to the existing
definition of the word.