Re: What can dholl-puri teach us about ICT development?

From: Ish Sookun <ish.sookun_at_lsldigital.mu>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 14:40:08 +0400

Hi SM,

On 2015-10-01 13:35, S Moonesamy wrote:

> The archive for the mailing list is at
> http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/ Could you please follow
> the links from there instead of using an incorrect link? :-)

Yes. I link the ML as source when I pick up from there.

> Your article identifies the education system as the problem as
> everyone wants their child to have good grades. I'll quote the
> following [1]:

Yes. The education system is one of the problems.

> "Faut-il considérer comme la philosophie de l’Ecole le prétend, que
> la vérité a été révélée ou trouvée et qu’il convient seulement de
> la recevoir par voie d’autorité, ou bien faut-il comprendre que la
> vérité est à chercher par un effort actuel devant mobiliser les
> générations présentes et à venir ?"

It's a beautiful quote. Thank you :)

> I would say that people were not be taught how to think. People are
> trained not to ask questions as it is viewed as impertinent. It is
> not a problem until the people have to compete on a global basis.

I agree. I was once sitting in the chemistry class, lost in my thoughts,
while the teacher was explaining about electrolysis. He shouted at me,
whether I am day-dreaming. I replied I am wondering whether we can use
lemons to produce electricity. He said, "you won't get that for exams."
The focus in schools is about getting good grades in examinations.

> There was recently some articles in the local press about providing
> free "tablets" at school. There is a study which showed that
> "investing heavily in school computers and classroom technology does
> not improve pupils" [2].

Thank you for the BBC link. I am yet to see if the Ministry of Education
can bring stats on how the tablets have improved the learning abilities
of students.

> I don't know about Estonia except for what I have read online. Would
> copying and pasting the Estonia template work for Mauritius? I'll
> assuming that it will work; it would take at least twenty years to get
> there.

I like the humour :)

> I'll comment about the biometric stuff once I read your feedback on
> the other thread.

I need to catch up. The National Identity Card "saga" is all messed up
in my head right now (with questions, articles etc). I need to re-order
those before getting into a healthy discussion. Otherwise, I might reply
with missing bits.

> The point in the last part of your blog article is that people blindly
> adopt whatever some expert says instead of doing an analysis to see
> whether what the expert says makes sense within the local context.

Would a foreign expert take into consideration the "local habits" when
proposing a solution?