What can dholl-puri teach us about ICT development?

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 02:35:15 -0700

Hi Ish,

The archive for the mailing list is at
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/
Could you please follow the links from there
instead of using an incorrect link? :-)

I'll comment about
http://hacklog.mu/what-can-dholl-puri-teach-us-about-ict-development/
If you want to sell "dholl-puri" you can do it on
any street without having to pay an expensive
license. If you decide to create and sell a VoIP
service you will have to pay Rs 1,000,000 for a
license. The point here is that you cannot
invent a service such as Skype in Mauritius as
there is over-regulation in so-called "ICT" sector.

Your article identifies the education system as
the problem as everyone wants their child to have
good grades. I'll quote the following [1]:

   "Faut-il considérer comme la philosophie de l’Ecole le prétend, que
    la vérité a été révélée ou trouvée et qu’il convient seulement de
    la recevoir par voie d’autorité, ou bien faut-il comprendre que la
    vérité est à chercher par un effort actuel devant mobiliser les
    générations présentes et à venir ?"

I would say that people were not be taught how to
think. People are trained not to ask questions
as it is viewed as impertinent. It is not a
problem until the people have to compete on a global basis.

There was recently some articles in the local
press about providing free "tablets" at
school. There is a study which showed that
"investing heavily in school computers and
classroom technology does not improve pupils" [2].

I don't know about Estonia except for what I have
read online. Would copying and pasting the
Estonia template work for Mauritius? I'll
assuming that it will work; it would take at least twenty years to get there.

I'll comment about the biometric stuff once I
read your feedback on the other thread.

The point in the last part of your blog article
is that people blindly adopt whatever some expert
says instead of doing an analysis to see whether
what the expert says makes sense within the local context.

1. http://www.philolog.fr/discours-de-la-methode-descartes-explication/
2. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34174796