Re: Open Standards in Mauritius (Was: US Government open sourced UI & Visual Style components)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 16:56:07 -0700

Hi Ish,
At 12:53 29-09-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I find it a bit weird that there is a tender for a Document
>Management System while the it's only 2 years since the government
>has put Microsoft Sharepoint in place to serve as a Document
>Management System for government agencies.
>
>I downloaded the Bidding Documents from the Public Procurement
>portal. You shall find it attached. However, I haven't studied the content yet.

I noticed a few mistakes in the document:

   "Links for checking the ineligibility lists are available on the
    PPO's website: ppo.gov.mu."

   "Bidders are required to explain the Application Methodology to be
    employed in the implementation of the proposed solutions. This
    includes an outline of all the standards, the design, development,
    testing and implementation approach. For custom application
    development, the bidder should be guided by the software
    development agreement (available at http://cib.gov.mu/downloads)."

The domain names are incorrect.

There isn't any mention of "open standards". My reading of the above
is that it is left to the bidder to set the standards. It is unusual.

   "All user authentication and password changes to be done via SSL (https)
    if accessed in a Web browser environment or via relevant encryption
    techniques if accessed in a client/server environment"

That's not very secure. :-)

It is possible to implement a solution based on open source software
where the solution will comply with (international) technical
standards. My guess is that it would cost less than a solution based
on this document. Once you have read the document you might
understand that it requires more than doing "apt-get". :-)