Re: Is it useful to have a blog? #Mauritius

From: Vy-Shane Sin Fat <shane_at_node.mu>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 23:54:24 +0800

On 28 September 2015 at 1:33:00 AM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun (shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com(mailto:shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com)) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> It is useful to have a blog? How many MIU subscribers have a blog?
> Has it been beneficial to your career?
>
> Do you have a blog SM? I did a search SM and couldn't find anything.
>
> Kind regards,
> Shelly

I’ve blogged sporadically for just under 10 years on my current blog (node.mu). I confess that I’ve never really been able to write regularly though.

As a technologist, a blog was definitely useful when I was starting my career. I’m pretty sure that the hiring manager has looked at my blog every single time that I’ve applied for a job. These days people will also look at your GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and Twitter timeline. However, when I was just starting out, they’d have your resume and your blog. A blog gave me a chance to showcase things that I didn’t have the space for on my CV, and to (hopefully!) show that I was an able communicator. Sometimes my blog also acted as an informal portfolio of projects that I had worked on.

Cheers,
Shane