Re: Freedom of Information event

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 03:59:26 -0700

Hello,
At 11:53 09-09-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>What I stated here is a mere example, but once we have a FOI Act, it
>becomes easier for the information-seeking citizen to ask for
>details. Currently, in order to get information from the authority,
>one has to wait that someone asks the question in the parliament :)

Yes.

According to the "Government Programme 2015-2019", the objective of a
Freedom of Information Act is "to promote transparency and
accountability in public administration". Ish and I have each sent
requests for information about internet-related topics to some
government organizations. There were only a few replies to those
requests. As an example, Mr Rajnish Hawabhay replied [1] to an email
I sent about "Internet Quality of Service Assessment". I didn't
receive the information though.

At 10:30 09-09-2015, OMDEEP GOKHOOL wrote:
>request certain informations from public authorities. A second
>example I would like to take is the clouds of doubts still lingering
>around, about the New Identity Cards[3], having a FOI act will
>obliged public authorities to publish certain informations about
>their activities.

A FOIA does not oblige "public authorities to publish
information. It is mainly for those citizens who are seeking
information about issues which affect them. In the above, Omdeep
mentioned the "cloud of doubts" about the ID card. The information
which might help to clear some of the doubts does not have to be made
available as he did not request information about the ID Card.

1.
http://lists.elandnews.com/archive/mauritius/internet-users/2015/05/2070.html