Re: Why can't I SSH to my server from UoM Open WiFi?

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 19:53:58 +0000

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I attended a Linux meetup [1] that was organized by some students and
> members of the Linux User Group of Mauritius at the University of
> Mauritius. The meetup covered the subject of Open Protocols and how to
> fix network latency. During the presentation I was able to connect to
> UoM_OpenWiFi and access Gmail, Facebook and Twitter. However, while
> Loganaden Velvindron was explaining about the latency issues I tried
> to connect to my Linux server using an SSH client. Unfortunately, I
> could not connect.

(I put Mr Roshan, and Mr Rishikesh Poorun who is part of the Student Union.)

Hi Mr Halkoree,

I'm not sure that blocking port 22 puts UoM in a good light, as it's
supposed to be a leading a university on the island which would allow
innovative research. Ish Sookun is not a student, he was only a guest at
UoM, who was trying to access his research server. What about students who
want to access SSH for their assignments, management of their web servers,
or simply learning about UNIX with a shell account ?

I do hope that we can rely on your co-operation to solve this issue.