Why can't I SSH to my server from UoM Open WiFi?

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 13:38:22 +0400

Dear Sir/Madam,

I attended a Linux meetup [1] that was organized by some students and
members of the Linux User Group of Mauritius at the University of
Mauritius. The meetup covered the subject of Open Protocols and how to
fix network latency. During the presentation I was able to connect to
UoM_OpenWiFi and access Gmail, Facebook and Twitter. However, while
Loganaden Velvindron was explaining about the latency issues I tried
to connect to my Linux server using an SSH client. Unfortunately, I
could not connect.

++++++++++
OpenSSH_6.2p2, OSSLShim 0.9.8r 8 Dec 2011
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh_config line 20: Applying options for *
debug1: /etc/ssh_config line 102: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to lab.hacklog.in [193.164.132.36] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 193.164.132.36 port 22: Operation timed out
ssh: connect to host lab.hacklog.in port 22: Operation timed out

As per my observation it seems that port 22 which is the standard port
for SSH, is blocked. Could you please confirm me whether this is true?
I'd also like to know whether the university has done a research to
decide why this particular port should be blocked?

[1] https://www.facebook.com/events/1631855367057063/

Thank you & regards,

- I blog at HACKLOG.in.