Re: Bufferbloat explained (was: Linux Meetup on this Saturday)

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:36:26 +0000

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 3:20 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Logan,
> At 06:02 AM 8/29/2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>
>> It was a fun meetup !
>>

> It is nice to have technical explanations like the one which you gave
> about bufferbloat. From what I understood Fair Queuing Controlled Delay
> (fq_codel) should be used at the location where the bottleneck occurs,
> usually the router, instead of having it at other locations on the network.
>
> Is anyone using OpenWRT with fq_codel?
>
> I am using OpenWRT with fq_codel, and I got A+ on the bloat test for
DSLreports.

I will allow others to speak for themselves.

Games, voip and skype are much better now. I get less complaints from my
family regarding Internet Connectivity.

Concerning the relevance of IETF standards to this effort, Ish asked a
question regarding the relevance and applicability of standards in the IT
world today. I disagreed with him, as I saw that CISCO, Juniper, and the
other big companies are fighting tooth and nail to influence the IETF
standards, and therefore the market itself.

Ajay and a few other people asked about the availability of fq_codel
directly from the ISP without the need to go for a 3rd party firmware.