Re: Biometric ID Card

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:19:08 -0700

Hi Shelly,
At 09:38 AM 8/22/2015, SHELLY HERMIA BHUJUN wrote:
> > I wonder if they did not highlight 'getting foreign experts to
> Mauritius in order to solve those biometric data issue' just to
> show off- >comme d'habitude. This attitude can also prove that they
> would rather rely on foreign experts than investing in local
> experts ->anyway, who confirmed that we did not have any local
> experts ready to help out?

Local people usually do not disagree with foreign "experts". I doubt
that there has been any effort to see whether the work can be done by
local people. As you mentioned, it is likely an attitude problem.

> > Are they going to record the whole procedure?

I don't know whether the procedure will be recorded. There are some
security principles which could be implemented to ensure that the
destruction is transparent.

It was mentioned in a news article that the fingerprint stored on the
biometric ID could also be used by, for example, banks to verify the
identity of the person. I doubt that the people in favour of that
approach have a good understanding of the privacy issues.