Re: Internet Service in Mauritius

From: SHELLY HERMIA BHUJUN <shelly.bhujun_at_umail.uom.ac.mu>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 20:48:46 +0400

Hello all,

I believe that the poor Internet connection in Mauritius affects the
following:

1. We can't use Cloud services properly
2. There is a decline in productivity- 'Facebook Island' because we cannot
stream or download.
We will rather close our browser as the website take too long to load.
3. Business in Mauritius- Cyber Island- Really? The Internet package is
expensive and they can barely provide a good service!

Kind regards

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 8:48 PM, SHELLY HERMIA BHUJUN <
shelly.bhujun_at_umail.uom.ac.mu> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Hello Yusuf,
>>
>> I agree with the situation of Internet in Mauritius.
>>
>> The new ISP brought hope to many people, but its turning out to be the
>> same story. I have contacted Emtel on the 12th of July regarding a problem.
>> None of their technicians have contacted me even though I remind their
>> customer care almost daily of the issues that I have. The customer care
>> replies that they are liasing with the technical department and will revert
>> to me as soon as possible, but they never do. I keep getting the same
>> message that thanks me for my cooperation, but never have they attempted to
>> solve my issue.
>>
>> Many people in Mauritius do not know how to test their actual internet
>> speed. I believe such a website can help bringing that information to the
>> mass public. I am volunteering to help achieving such an informational
>> website hoping that it will encourage ISPs to provide mauritians with a
>> better internet connection.
>>

>> Thanks and Regards,
>>
>> *RAMGOLAM Sandeep*
>>
>> *Front-end Developer - Designer - Web Enthusiast - Gamer**Website :*
>> barfii.net <http://www.barfii.net>
>>
>> On 1 August 2015 at 23:16, fluxy <fx_at_fluxy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, The poor quality of internet in Mauritius is unfortunately a very
>>> sad reality. Quality of internet, meaning:
>>>
>>> - Latency
>>> - Promised Bandwidth vs Obtained Bandwidth
>>> - Uptime
>>> - Bandwidth variance
>>> - Poor customer support
>>>
>>> I’ve used several Internet Service Providers, various technologies,
>>> different environments (professional and home) and many services (World
>>> Wide Web, VOIP, Mail, SSH, IRC, Gaming, Torrent …).
>>>
>>> The conclusion is the same: the service is *execrable*, and that’s me
>>> being polite.
>>>
>>> Who suffers from poor internet?
>>>
>>> - Non IT Business Users
>>> - IT Business Users - I am mentioning this separately because having
>>> worked in the sector, I am aware of the potential of the sector and to
>>> which extent this affects us. This is *literally* undermining the
>>> economy and stopping its progress. This is an issue of national interest.
>>> - Home Users - Many people do not realise the internet is bad. Of
>>> those who do, the majority suffer silently. Next many complain randomly on
>>> facebook. Fewer than those, actually a lot fewer, participate in this
>>> mailing list. Finally the enlightened individuals, actually complain to the
>>> authorities.
>>>
>>> Why this is bad? Recent events seem to suggest that the situation is not
>>> going to change, even if new ISPs enter the market. The modus operandi
>>> remains a constant.
>>>
>>> 1. Internet Service is bad, people complain randomly and in a
>>> dispersed manner. Existing ISP doesn’t live up to expectations. Governments
>>> change. Nothing happens, until a new service looms up ahead.
>>> 2. Hype about a new service.
>>> 3. Mass marketing with super convincing ads.
>>> 4. Free installation
>>> 5. The first wave of subscribers get good service and pass on the
>>> good word
>>> 6. People rush and user base increases
>>> 7. Service becomes execrable