Re: Secure blogging - static site generator + Docker

From: <cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 19:09:44 +0000

Hello Vy-Shane,

>2) Deploy the site as a read-only Docker container

>We basically move the smarts from the page serving step to a publishing step that is performed off server. The server serves static pages from a read only-environment. It's a simple solution with very few moving parts, and a reduced attack surface.

I agree this could be a good alternative but I would like to point out that some if not most of the companies did not build they own website. For examples: Harel Mallac Health Care[1] or even the website of the Open University of Mauritius are built by third-party firms.

Are the developers there ready to implement these alternatives? Even on the request of their clients? Do they always build using the easiest blog engine available?

Once I called DMS (the firm that build the website of [1]) he said that they build using popular CMS available: Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal etc.

So my last question is do they build website using only the platforms they are used to in order to provide effective customer service after the website's construction?

I haven't experiment with Jekyll. Is it as easy to maintain and managed as the popular CMS? Or does it require the know-how a web developer?

All this aspects has to be taken care of before implementing new solutions.

[1] http://www.hmhealthcare.mu

[2] http://www.open.ac.mu

Regards,

Cédric Poottaren