RE: Use of University mail

From: <cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 18:23:00 +0000

Hello Shelly,

>The only topics which might be controversial would be if we discuss about issues related to the University itself. I would like to highlight that this only happens when a student raises those topics. This has not caused any problem as we have not received any complaint from the Director of CITS

For such a reason, you guys have taken a decision to make students use their University email address?

Why do websites, forums etc put/write and setup "Terms of Use" and other Policies pertaining to content and information that users publish on their website/forums?

Do they request their users to use specific email address?

Is the MIU about internet related issues in Mauritius or about Universities?

Aren't these topic about universities, email address etc considered off-topics for the MIU?

Should we not remind subscribers raising such issues that the MIU is not the place?

Instead, we can't include in our introduction to MIU the following:

"While subscribing to this mailing-list I agree/guarantee that information or everything else that I share belongs to me. I also acknowledge that the MIU and its belonging members takes no responsibility in case of Intellectual Property Rights infringement caused my content that I share on this mailing-list."

Let us include that the intros so that it remains in the archive of the mailing-list for future reference.

>Are there any rules that prevent the students from using their University email address? If so, please share the link.

No, I don't think so, using institution assigned email should not be a problem I believe.

Regards,

Cédric Poottaren

Software developer

http://jcplaboratory.org