Re: Use of University mail

From: <cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 06:38:02 +0000

Hello S.M,

>Your problem could be described as follows:

>(i) Your university is unable to provide you with an email address.

>(ii) I will ask you for a university email address and you will not be able to show that because of (i).

No dude, you haven't understood.

I emailed OU about the email address issue because along with this we were told that we will get other advantages.

As I said earlier, I am an Open Distance Learner (ODL). I spend no more than 14 hours per month at the University's premises. I have also mentioned that I have a full time job.

So according to you which email address would be more appropriate for me to use for MIU's purposes?

But, I am not looking forward to ask my university an email address. Even if I had one I would not use it for the MIU neither for personal, education or for work purposes.

To make it short, my problem is not about having an email address from the university. If this was the case, I would have stayed quiet when you came with the proposal of using university email. Would you know that I am a part-timer student?

Instead, I believe that everyone should be free to use any email address they choose to.

You can ask me to use my full-time job email but I will not.

This makes me sad really guys. :( I thought this is a community, where everybody give their opinion before taking on any moves or before taking any decisions but it feels more like an organisation that has a governing body.

Anyway, you are givings students (including me) until July 30 to get an email address right?

Regards,

Cédric Poottaren

Software developer

http://jcplaboratory.org

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:30 PM -0700, "S Moonesamy" <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
Hi Cedric,
At 08:14 17-07-2015, cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org wrote:
>I respect your point of view towards the topic. However, I can you
>consider adding a "Terms and Condition" on the MIU subscribe page? I
>mean this can help ensure that information that are shared in this
>mailing-list remain the property of its author and/or the MIU?

There is already a notice on the subscription webpage. If a person
contributes an idea the person receives credit for it. The idea does
not become the "property" of the Mauritius Internet Users.

>You can add a close stating that people should properly refer to the
>MIU and/or the author in a proper way when using MIU's content. (You
>and Shelly decide the way).

That is stuff which students are supposed to learn at
university. Anyone with adequate work experience is supposed to be
able to find out how to do that.

>This might help solve the issue; IPR and all that. I keep supporting
>the idea that subscribers should be free to use any address they
>choose and besides, I dont see people of our culture bookmarking the
>MIU and visit it daily to keep up with the topics discussed here.

A person would not read the topics if they are not interesting. I
would not blame the person as it is for him/her to choose what is interesting.

Your problem could be described as follows:

   (i) Your university is unable to provide you with an email address.

   (ii) I will ask you for a university email address and you will not
        be able to show that because of (i).

Please try to solve that.