Re: The story of the security-plagued cyberisland

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:26:03 +0400

Hello SM,

On 06/27/2015 07:52 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Thanks for sharing what you found.
>
> In my opinion people usually won't search for the ask.com toolbar to
> install it. If I am installing Java 8 Update 40 [1] I do not expect it
> to install a web browser Toolbar or to change the homepage. Will the
> average user in Mauritius use what is being displayed in the web browser
> [2] or will the person change that?

Indeed, my first try was to see if it is still bundled with software
like Java. It is not included in JRE 8 Update 45. If it were included,
then would be most probably a custom toolbar with Java links & widgets.
I installed the toolbar from ask.com then, to verify if it had traits
like malware, i.e hijacking the browser, difficult to uninstall, leaving
running processes after installation etc.

The average user would not visit ask.com to download the toolbar. They
would get it through partner applications, web links, pop-ups etc.

The average user might not know how to change what is displayed in the
browser.

I have seen users going to google.com (their homepage), then typing
"facebook.com" and then clicking on the first result in order to visit
facebook.com

> What would an average user do if he sees the following:
> http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/www-lemauricien-com-ads-gf.png

The average user would click on it to download a girlfriend.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.