Re: The story of the security-plagued cyberisland

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 20:58:14 +0400

Hi SM,

On 06/23/2015 05:56 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> There is a article at
> http://www.lemauricien.com/article/malwares-qui-parasitent-notre-cyber-ile
> It doesn't answer the above.

Precisely, I find a proper research is lacking. I give you a scenario;
if tomorrow I develop a search app and use Google's engine and spam
everyone with the app, you blame whom? Google or me?

In a previous email I mentioned my experience with customers using the
Internet in my cybercafés. Browser tool-bars such as iMesh, BearShare,
iLivid were popular back then. They used the Ask.com search engine while
running other processes along their tool-bar. BearShare would change the
homepage which was then difficult to revert. Most of those tool-bars
came from web links or adverts popping on the screen. A lot of people
'accidentally' installed the tool-bars. My computers in the cybercafés
suffered from these accidental installs. I did not limit user accounts
as I allowed customers to install programs; I advertised my business as
a PC pay-per-use rather than Internet pay-per-use. People could pay an
amount and use internet, install apps, use DVD writers etc.

All of those tool-bars contributed to Ask.com getting web traffic.

However, the Ask.com tool-bar itself was distributed through software
partners like Sun Microsystems (before Oracle took over).

I quote from ComputerWorld [1], 28 January 2013:

        "Sun had bundled third-party software with Java since at least 2005,
when it offered a Google toolbar. In the following years, Sun made
similar arrangements with Microsoft and Yahoo, before switching to Ask.com."

If Google.com appears as the most visited website, will people question
whether this has been achieved through tool-bars, partner sites etc?

I am not taking sides saying which tool-bar is better or if tool-bars
are good at anything. My point is we do not have a proper research yet.
There was no survey carried in Mauritius to ascertain how Ask.com
reached the 10th position; ask.com tool-bars, partner sites, partner
applications, how exactly?

We can say a lot based on assumptions but that would be reckless.

I invite users on the mailing list to do a test. Let's search for 'S.
Moonesamy' on google.mu and on ask.com. Have a look at both pages, how
the results are presented? Maybe we could even continue this particular
discussion in a separate thread :-)

[1]
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2494794/malware-vulnerabilities/oracle-will-continue-to-bundle--crapware--with-java.html

​Ish Sookun