Re: The story of the security-plagued cyberisland

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 13:52:29 +0400

On 06/21/2015 01:44 PM, Cédric Poottaren wrote:

> I agree with Logan, most people do not know what java is and why should they install it. Most of the time users have Java installed on their system is simply because another program which is dependant on it installed it and in most cases it does not install the toolbar.
>
> I have encountered Ask toolbar installation while installing multimedia related apps such as Nero, multimedia converters and even utility tools. Ask toobar can be from a wider range of sources not just Sysmantec.
>
> It's a good thing MSFT flagged the previous versions as malware. This might force ask.com to review their code.

Guys, you're missing the point again. I named Java as maybe one of the
sources of Ask.com toolbar. When it came to people installing Java, I
didn't say people will install Java because they know what it is.

See, a person has a computer and accesses a website. The same does not
load and says "requires Java". The webpage indicates a button to
download & install Java. What will the person do? Installing Java does
not necessarily mean the person know what it is.

If a person knows what Java is, he/she will most probably install it
without the Ask.com toolbar.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.