Re: Emtel Airbox Packages

From: Jochen Kirstätter <mscc_at_kirstaetter.name>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 13:46:44 +0400

Hi Cedric,

On 16/06/2015 23:01, Cédric Poottaren wrote:
> I don't how far this applies to our ISPs (Emtel) but there's some
> theory on Wikipedia [1] about latency for internet satellite dish. I
> quote:

Satellite?
Emtel's Airbox service is based on Fiber Through The Air (FTTA) and is
an evolved, multi-plex communication channel based on radio frequency,
similar to WiMAX.

Due to the nature of radio waves traveling some distance the "expected"
latency might range between 200 and 250ms.
I'm on WiMAX and have an average latency of 290ms but services like
Skype or VoIP still work smoothly.

--
Kind regards, Jochen
Founder of Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community