Local Context

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:10:30 +0400

Hello SM, I agree that the quality of emails sent to the mailing list is poor in content and the structure. Our mailing list consists of both students and people who already have a job. Some of our subscribers participate in the various discussions as it a way for them to learn, express their opinion and share their experience with each other. You have certainly observed that there are some people who interact quite often while some are still reluctant to interact. The reason I did not 'set down a rule that prohibits the use of non-understandable "English" and using proper references when writing about "facts" ' was because I wanted to encourage people to voice out their concern regarding the Internet in Mauritius without setting intellectual barriers. What i have seen is that the current approach has contributed to the low quality of discussion. It has also set a low standard. I agree with both you and Ish. It is indeed high time to set some rules. I believe that it is a privilege of being invited to workshops organized by the Government or International bodies. This has been possible because we share the opportunity to participate in the workshops with all our members. The opportunities occur because the dedication and commitment of some of the person of the mailing list to transparency. I shall not ignore the effort made by our representatives who contribute their knowledge. I would like to remind people to proof read what they have written before sending the emails. I would like to highlight that participating on the mailing list is not only about how often you reply to mails. It is important not to confuse sharing your personal opinion with facts. You are the sole person responsible for the information you are sharing. Please bear in mind that the mails can also be access through a public archive. Any misleading information is detrimental to the Mauritius Internet Users as a whole. Coming back to your mail SM, I apologize if you sometimes feel like you're wasting your time interacting with some members but like I said, we are also here to learn and improve our knowledge. The culture in Mauritius is such that most people are used to spoken instead of written English and French. I believe this is why we encounter such problems.

Thank you.