Re: Joomla! When to use?

From: Jochen Kirstätter <mscc_at_kirstaetter.name>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 20:57:09 +0400

Hi Ish,

On 29/05/2015 16:33, Ish Sookun wrote:
> [Decision to use a CMS]

The answer is very simple actually: Time to the market.

Frankly, the times of writing a website from scratch for each individual
client are over since a while. And in order to provide a consistent look
& feel, as well as proper cache handling on the server as well in the
browser, why would someone not leverage existing technologies?

It might sound a bit of an overkill to use a full-fledged CMS for a
10-pages client but honestly, it's eventually still easier and faster to
do. Even whether you won't know if that client likes their website and
starts to push n articles/pages per week/month online, or just leaves it
as-is afterwards. And in case that a client like to amend the visual
appearance at a later point in time... Well, templates solve this very
easily.

And... in case of using a CMS you are going to have a "constant" amount
of time to invest - independent of the amount of pages in the first
place. The first milestone and baseline is either the creation of or the
adaption of a purchased of an CMS template. Then, anything else like
navigational structure and finally content.
A CMS provides you more flexible than coding every single change manually.

For the situation of maintenance, well, it's up to the agency and the
client. On my side, I propose my clients a continuous support handling
but most of them either don't understand or don't commit to this kind of
perpetual expenses.

But I also like to mention that compared to other ready-to-use systems,
Joomla! - as commonly known - is actually two products. You have a solid
Joomla! Framework and then on top of that you get the Joomla! CMS
application. This also gives you the ability to develop any kind of web
applications and services without having the need to use the CMS at all.
--
Kind regards, Jochen
Founder of Mauritius Software Craftsmanship Community