Re: Orange & Facebook

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 03:57:57 -0700

Hi Nadim,

At 02:29 28-05-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>+1. As a user, yes, it is always good to get stuffs for free.

As a user I do not like to get stuff for free. Competition is to the
advantage of the consumer. Let's say that a company provides a
service for free. The competitors selling a similar service are
driven out of business. The company decides to set the price for the
service. Will the consumer would not be able to do anything about that?

>Why Facebook has partnered with Orange only? Is it not
>disadvantageous for Emtel? Tomorrow Orange decides to give
>zero-rating service on another service (for FTTH users). Will it
>benefit Emtel, MTML, and others?

Please see https://www.emtel.com/img/files/MU%20emtel%20Press%20Release.pdf

Why has Manchester United partnered with Emtel only?

At 02:59 28-05-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>How? Who to contact?

You could try to email contact_at_orange.mu

>Not only startups. Maybe existing entrepreneurs / companies / firms
>also. For example what if the government decides that all telcos and
>ISPs SHOULD provide zero-rating service for MBC's website and
>contents (audio & video). Do you think we can get private TVs /
>radios? Will it be easy for them to survive?

During a Microsoft Azure presentation I asked why university students
or small businesses were not taking up the offers which they given; I
don't recall exactly what I asked. The response was that there is a
lack of entrepreneurship.

Which entrepreneur or company in Mauritius depend on internet access
for its business?

There is a press group which has an annual revenue of three hundred
million rupees. It is up to the private radio stations to see
whether zero-rating will affect their revenue.

> From a user point of view: Who should decide what I consume? Me or
> the telcos / ISPs?
> From a business point of view: Can I start a business? Can I
> survive? Can I provide competition or am I in a healthy competitive
> environment?

The reality is that the telcos can decide what you consume. I don't
think that your business would survive if you start one. The problem
is, as you mentioned; there isn't healthy competition.

At 03:09 28-05-2015, Mohammad Nadim wrote:
>Please share more on this. How?

It is not to my advantage if I have to give up on using email to communicate.