Re: Orange & Facebook

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 12:44:00 +0400

Hi Nadim,

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Mohammad Nadim <nadim.attari_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. Do you think this is a good thing?
> 2. Why is Orange choosing what should be free and what not for us?
> 3. Can we call this free service from Orange a "zero-rating[3][4]"
> service (joint market agreement)?
> 4. What if I want zero-rating service for another app (e.g.
> FamilyWall, or Twitter, etc), rather than Facebook?
> 5. Who is benefiting from this? Is Facebook "sponsoring" this free
> internet to kill competition (from other social networking services, or
> from startups rising)?
> 6. Is it in our advantage?
> 7. What if they give (zero-rating) "preference" to another
> service/application in the future (decided by them, and not us, the users)?
> Will it be a disadvantage to local startups?

​It is always good to get free stuffs. I would be happier with free
unlimited Internet :-)
Is Orange really choosing what should be free for us? Well, Orange needs to
make profits in order to sustain its existence. I do not think Orange is
really choosing what should be free for us. It is rather partnering around
for a win-win agreement.

Won't you be happy if Orange gives you 100Mbps unlimited access to all
local websites/applications?

This is not the first time Facebook[1] has tried offering a "free Facebook"
service. Facebook tested it's 0.facebook.com service in Kenya[2].

I see that Facebook has been tricky by not making facebook.com free but
rather making a specific service called m.facebook.com free with partner
mobile operators.​

​Which local startup will be at disadvantage if Orange provides a similar
service to another application in the future?

[1]
http://www.zdnet.com/article/orange-bringing-facebook-to-all-phones-in-africa

​[2]
http://www.orange-tkl.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=220:facebook-zero-on-orange&catid=56:voice-offers&Itemid=130