Re: National Open Source Software Policy

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 09:23:12 +0400

Hi SM,

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Will the Linux User Group Meta be using the Cyber Caravan Project [1] to
> help people familiarize with Linux? I gather that you are aware that
> Linux is the kernel. :-)

​I'll see what sort of collaboration the National Computer Board offers.

Yes, I am aware that Linux is the kernel and that is why when I use the
word I concatenate it with "& Open Source Software". Explaining about the
kernel (Linux) helps in telling people why they cannot run a Windows
program on a Linux distribution natively, as the kernel is different and
they way the system interpret calls, its libraries and all are different.
Once the word Linux is used topics like system architecture etc follows. ​

Correct me if I'm wrong with the approach.

> I suggest having demos which show whether the free software selected by
> the Linux User Group Meta offers features which are at least equivalent to
> what can be achieved with Windows for web-related activities. Will there
> be a list of recommended software?

​We tried this during the Corsair Hackers Reboot[1] in ​2014. Indeed, it
helped. We do not currently have a list of recommended software under
lugm.org. We have a website revamp which is pending. I will make sure that
such a list is published. The software recommendations should be based on
the trials and experience of LUGM users rather than copy & paste from the
web.

[1] http://hacklog.in/corsair-hackers-reboot-demo-preps

​Regards,​

--