Re: Representative

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 15:34:01 +0400

Hi SM,

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 2:51 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> On 28 April, there was an article in the local press with the following:
> "Pour Arshad Pooloo, président de l’University of Mauritius (UoM) Marketing
> Society". Would the person be mentioned in the local press if he did not
> have that title?

​I guess press people sometimes look for those fancy titles. They might
have not given his comment importance if he was only Arshad Pooloo.​

> You are sending an email with a "opensuse.org" email address. Do you
> work for opensuse.org?

​I am a volunteer[1] in the openSUSE Project. Using an _at_opensuse.org
​address is part of my advocacy[2].

> Do you list your activities in the Linux User Group Meta and member of the
> ICT Advisory Council under hobbies? I looked at the social network which
> is supposed to be for professionals. You listed your membership in the
> Linux User Group of Mauritius and Mauritius Software Craftsmanship
> Community. If you are quoted in the press tomorrow, in what capacity do
> you want to be quoted as?

​No. I do not list those as hobbies. My hobbies[3] are breaking & repairing
stuffs. I do not consider my participation in user groups as hobbies since
they are of more serious nature.​ I guess I could just call them volunteer
activities. I am not paid by openSUSE, Ubuntu, LUGM, ICT Advisory Council
or the Mauritius Internet Users.

> Why should I spend time discussing about internet-related matters with Mr
> Sookun (full stop)? Is there any value for you to read or participate in
> the discussions on this mailing list? if the answer is no, I'll ask Ms
> Bhujun to remove you from the mailing list.

​Yes, I believe there is value. I participate to share my opinion, my
knowledge where I feel it will help. I raise my voice & contact relevant
bodies to get that voice heard. I do not raise my voice as a LUGM
representative to say I have an Internet problem, just as I won't raise the
same voice for Open Source as an MIU member.​

If anything that I said is not clear, let me know. I shall elaborate.

​[1] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Advocates_list
[2] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Advocates

Regards,​

--