Re: Mauritius Open Data Readiness Assessment

From: Daniel Laeng <daniel_at_laeng.org>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 12:45:51 +0400

Hi Ish,

I haven't received an invitation either (I was kind of expecting one).
I'll send an email to Alla and see if we can give it a nudge from that end.

For everybody else who's interested:

I've been reading up on the World Banks concepts of open data, and they
are much better than I expected. Their concepts seem to fall inline
with what I would hope for, which is a really positive sign. I'm curious
to see how much muscle the World Bank brings to the table, and if the
government is willing to open up at all. Fingers crossed.

If anybody has time and desire, here are 2 documents worth reading:

1. World Bank Technical assessment of open data platforms
<http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/2014/10/20451797/technical-assessment-open-data-platforms-national-statistical-organisations>

This is a surprisingly good read. It covers the World Banks
expectations for open data in a fairly detailed manner. It's well
organised and you can scan through it pretty quickly.

2. Open Government Data (The Book) <https://opengovdata.io/>

There are lots of good ideas in this "book" on open data. It's a bit
disorganised though. The content overlaps with the World Bank document
(but that's probably a good thing).

My favourite thing from the book is their implementation roadmap [link
<https://opengovdata.io/2014/maturity-model-for-prioritization/>]:

image

This is a roadmap of the order in which Open Data should be approached.
The Y axis shows tech strategies and the X axis shows information types
the government produces.

Cheers,

Dan.

--