Re: MBC plugin

From: MBC Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation <mbcwebmail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 11:53:24 +0400

Hello
I am afraid to confirm that the videos posted on MBC website will not play
on mobile devices, as our streaming server (which dates back to 2006) does
not recognize any other format except "wmv" and "wma" which are Microsoft
proprietary (Microsoft Media Server- MMS). Ultimately Mac OS does not
support these format unless we install a plugin, and sometimes these
plugins are not freeware. Android also does not support wmv format
natively. Even if you are in a Windows environment, you still need to
download a plugin to be able to watch those videos as Microsoft no more
provide support for MMS protocol.
The plugin (fro windows platform) can be downloaded from the following
link:
http://www.interoperabilitybridges.com/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download

Nevertheless we are taking into consideration the advice so as to enhance
the viewing experience of audience on our website.

You can still watch news on our YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mbcradiotv

Regards
Arvind Lobind

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Sun <s4ndeep1203_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I tried watching a video on the MBC website on my Mac, using the latest
> Google Chrome. The video does not play and I have weird error messages. It
> is also asking my to install a paid third party app to watch MBC videos. I
> already pay a monthly fee of to the MBC on my electricity bill. There is no
> mention anywhere that I should pay for third party plugins to watch videos
> on the National Television website.
>
> It is asking me to install Flip4Mac.
>
> [image: Inline images 1]
>

> I cannot watch videos :
> [image: Inline images 2]
>
> _at_Jevin, I am surprised it is possible to used WMP on Linux, that's very
> good indeed. But there are so many multimedia websites out there that do
> not require these plugins to run. HTML5 is *not* the future. It is the
> present. For instance, is it possible to watch videos on the MBC website
> on android/iOS mobile devices?
>
> I copied the MBC webmaster in this thread. I hope he takes advantage of
> these 'free advices' and improves his website.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> *RAMGOLAM Sandeep*
>
> *Front-end Developer - Designer - Web Enthusiast - Gamer**Website :*
> barfii.net <http://www.barfii.net>
>
> On 19 May 2015 at 16:28, Jeyveen B <jeyveenb_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Raksheeta,
>> I just wanted to share my personal experience
>> concerning watching videos on MBC website with you. I am on Linux Mint 17.1
>> Rebecca. Upon receiving your email, I tried to watch a video from
>> http://www.mbcradio.tv/mbc/replay_monday and there I was asked whether
>> to allow the Windows Media Player plug in to run, I selected "Allow and
>> Remember" and the video was loaded successfully. I tried with another video
>> on the website also and it worked. Please find screenshot attached.
>> The browser which I am using is Mozilla Firefox. If you are also using
>> Mozilla Firefox, you could try the following:
>>
>> You can disable or enable the Windows Media Player plugin in the Firefox
>> Add-ons Manager.
>>

>> 1. Click the menu button [image: New Fx Menu] and choose Add-ons. The
>> Add-ons Manager tab will open.
>> 2. In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Plugins panel.
>> 3. In the list of plugins, select the Windows Media Player plugin.
>> - If you want to disable the plugin, select Never Activate in its
>> drop-down menu.
>> - If you want to re-enable the plugin, select Always Activate in
>> its drop-down menu.
>>

>> If the plugin is disabled, pages with embedded Windows Media will not
>> work and, if you download a Windows Media file, Firefox may ask you what to
>> do with the file instead of automatically opening it in Firefox.
>>
>> Source:
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/play-windows-media-files-in-firefox
>>

>> Kind Regards,
>> Jeyveen Bhoyroo.

> [...]

Screen_Shot_2015-05-19_at_16.34.43.png
(image/png attachment: Screen_Shot_2015-05-19_at_16.34.43.png)

Screen_Shot_2015-05-19_at_16.34.18.png
(image/png attachment: Screen_Shot_2015-05-19_at_16.34.18.png)