RE: Internet/bandwidth situation in Mauritius

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 18:26:44 -0700

Hi Shelly,
At 11:06 15-05-2015, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:
>I am resident of Saint-Pierre and i am sure that Saint-Pierre is
>located in Mauritius. When will i have access to FTTH in
>saint-pierre? My region is not listed in the coverage for FTTH. Is
>it because it is a rural area?

There was a decision taken to have the entire island covered by FTTH
in three years. I looked into (communication) coverage last
year. It is quite sparse in rural areas.

>Why is there only Orange and Emtel in Saint-Pierre?

It is about the same in a lot of places in Mauritius. There isn't
much of a choice of ISPs even though people say that there is competition.

>I have never heard of these other ISPs (Les Relais Ltd. , DCL etc)
>Are they real ISPs? We are in 2015, A lot of reports on broadband
>strategies have been published. Why do we have only Orange and Emtel?

Les Relais Ltd operates a mobile radio network. DCL currently does
not have outdoor Alice 4G models to provide internet service. We are
stuck with Orange and Emtel as most of the companies with ISP
licences are interested in the Call Centre market instead of the
residential internet access market. There is also an assumption that
consumers will be docile.