Re: Internet/bandwidth situation in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 10:03:50 +0400

Hello SM,

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 12:28 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> I verified the status of a message sent to icta_at_intnet.mu about an hour
> ago:
>
> "relay=mx5.intnet.mu. [202.123.2.43], stat=Sent"
>
> I don't think that there is an email problem.

Looks like I found why my email is not reaching icta_at_intnet.mu. The error I
receive is as follows:

​5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.7.1 <icta_at_imail.icta.mu>: Recipient
address rejected

I have set my SPF settings to "hard fail" and when Mauritius Telecom's MTA
relays the email to icta.mu it envelopes the same as if originating from
intnet.mu (which is not true).

> Dr K. Oolun stated that there were eight Internet Service Providers.
> According to what you wrote above there is only one Internet Service
> Provider in Providence which provides acceptable internet access. Who
> should I believe?

​I am resident of Providence and I use Internet there everyday. I don't
know if there is an employee of ICTA who lives in the vicinity and could
give the higher officials of ICTA a different picture of the Internet
situation.

I repeat there is no other ISP, except Orange, who provides 1Mbps unlimited
connection for Rs 949 in Providence. So, if the Director says there are
eight ISPs, maybe he should rather clarify the zones in which these ISPs
operate. You can't claim ICT is booming in Mauritius by putting "eight"
ISPs in the towns and let the rest of the country at a disadvantage.​

​Regards,​

--
​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.